UPRIGHT CHANNEL STATE PARK
Upright Channel is a 20-acre, day-use park situated in the beautiful San Juan Islands. The park features walking trails, picnic and beach area. Easy access to tidelands makes for an enjoyable day clamming on the beach. Visitors can enjoy watching the many ferries plying Upright Channel en route to Friday Harbor.
The park is open for day use from 8 a.m. to dusk, May 1 through Sept. 30.
Wildlife Mammals Birds Fish & Sea Life? Deer or Elk? Otters? Raccoons? Eagles? Herons? Woodpeckers? Seals
A Discover Pass is required for vehicle access to Washington state parks for day use. For more information about the Discover Pass and exemptions, please visit the Discover Pass web page
Available in the area ? Camping? Gasoline
The nearest grocery store is about two miles from the park in Lopez Village. Fuel and pumpout for boats are available on the west side of Lopez Island in Fishermans Bay at Islands Marine Center.
Camping is available at Odlin County Park and nearby Spencer Spit State Park.
Moorage is available by anchor only. Fuel and pumpout for boats are available on the west side of Lopez Island in Fishermans Bay at Islands Marine Center.
Upright Channel State Park is located near Anacortes, Oak Harbor
The park features three acres of picnic and beach area, six picnic tables, two steel fire pits and a vault toilet. There is no running water or garbage service at the park. Visitors must pack out what they pack in.
1. Upright Head Trail: This is a 0.8-mile moderately trafficked loop trail that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels.
2. Agate Beach Loop: A short, easy hike of about half a mile round trip with beautiful beach access at the end.
3. Flat Point Hike: An approximately one-mile out-and-back trail offering stunning water vistas along its route; suitable for beginners or those looking for an easier walk in nature.
4. Odlin South End Walkabout: It's around two miles long featuring forested areas and shoreline scenery; it's perfect if you're seeking solitude as this path tends to be less crowded than others within the park.
5. Cady Mountain Preserve Trails: These trails are more challenging due to their steep inclines but reward hikers with panoramic views from atop Cady Mountain - they span roughly three miles altogether.
6. Upright Channel Park Pathway: This pathway runs through picnic spots making it ideal for families who want to combine hiking with other outdoor activities like picnicking or bird watching - length varies depending on chosen routes within the area.
7. Lopez Island Shoreline Access Trail: Although not directly inside Upright Channel State Park, this nearby coastal trek provides additional opportunities to explore Washington's unique marine environments while enjoying breathtaking oceanic landscapes- typically spans between four-five miles based on selected paths.
Trails Water Activities Other? 0.2 mi. Hiking Trails? Boating (saltwater)? Personal Watercraft (saltwater)? Clamming? Beachcombing? Bird Watching? 2 Fire Circles? Wildlife Viewing
Upright Channel is located about one-quarter mile east of Flat Point on Lopez Island in San Juan County.
From the ferry dock on Lopez Island, drive straight on Ferry Road about two miles. Turn right on Military Road, then take the first right (also Military Road). The park gate is about one-half mile on the right.Boat access: By boat, head west from Anacortes across Rosario Strait. Go through Thatcher Pass, which is between Decatur and Blakely islands. Head north passing between Blakely and Lopez islands. At Upright Head, head south along the west side of Lopez Island until you reach Flat Point.